Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set variable value at runtime

Eytan Yammer July 12, 2021

For my deployment I would like to be able to set the container tag at runtime. For example. 

I have 2 containers:

container-1:1.0.2

container-2:0.1.0

I have a manually triggered deployment step.  I would like to be able to do something like this in my code:

- helm install ${container_name}_chart --version=${container-version} --set cotainer_tag=${container_version}

Where container_name and container_version are set by the user at runtime. 

At runtime the user can enter (or even better, if possible select from a list) the container/app name and version.

Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Eytan Yammer,

It is possible to set variable values at runtime but only for custom builds and for variables defined in these builds.

You can see an example in the following doc, if you search for the keyword 'variables':

Since this step is manually triggered anyway, you can define it as a custom pipeline instead, and define container_name and container_version as variables in that custom pipeline. I'm afraid it is not possible to select values from a list, the user running the step will need to provide the values for these variables.

It is also possible to use the 'deployment' keyword for this step in a custom pipeline if you are making use of deployment environments in Pipelines.

Is this something that works for you?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events