Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set deployment variables from environment variable

Maxim Shmalovsky January 18, 2021

It is possible to define at etch deployment same variable with different values that defined at environment variable

For example:

environment variables:

USER_DEV- dev

USER_PROD - prod

deployment 

• Dev
    • USER = USER_DEV
  • Prod
    • USER = USER_PROD

So the pipeline echo will prints for deployment 

• Dev $USER  is  dev
  • PROD $USER is prod

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2021

Hi Maxim,

I assume that USER_DEV and USER_PROD are either workspace or repository variables?

I'm afraid that it is not possible to use the value of workspace or repository variables when you define deployment variables.

You can do so during the build if you include a command in the yml file, but it is not possible to reference another variable when you define them in the Repository settings > Deployments.

May I ask why that would be useful, instead of specifying the actual value in the deployment variables? I believe we have a feature request for this which was closed due to inactivity, but I can reopen and add an explanation on why this would be a useful feature.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Maxim Shmalovsky January 19, 2021

if i define them as  workspace variables then other users of  bitbucket can use them as variables and their combination.
then when user ID or HOST changed i can update only at workspace and not at every repository pipeline.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

Hi Maxim,

Thank you for your reply.

I went ahead and reopened the feature request, I also added your use case and feedback for our product managers to take into account.

You can find it here:

I would suggest to add your vote there (by selecting the Vote for this issue link). You are more than welcome to leave any additional feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/implementation-of-new-features-policy-201294576.html and any updates are posted in the feature request.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Matt Sowers February 3, 2022

Year late, but this is also something we'd like.   We use common variables across our multiple repos, but they're only common within the environment.  Being able to set Access Keys/Secrets in the Workspace, and then call them in the deployment means we only would need to update a password or key in the Workspace and have it automatically flow down.

Thanks,

--Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events