Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services end of Support

Juan Carlos Utrilla November 3, 2021

Hello, 

I'm looking for information on what a service is on Bitbucket because this service is discontinued until the end of this year. The only thing I find in the documentation is this and I'm not sure: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/databases-and-service-containers

If this information is correct, what would be the best way to build a Docker image? Installing Docker on the Pipeline and compiling it?

Bitbucket recommends compiling the images using these services: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/build-and-push-a-docker-image-to-a-container-registry/

I'm probably misunderstanding what a service is in the context of Bitbucket Pipelines.

Resources:

- https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/view-end-of-support-announcements-for-bitbucket-cloud 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2021

Hi @Juan Carlos Utrilla,

The Services feature that we are deprecating is not related to services in Bitbucket Pipelines.
We are not deprecating services in Pipelines and you will still be able to use those.

I believe that we have removed the Services documentation, as it is no longer possible to set this up for newer repos. The Services feature we are deprecating is available in Repository settings of Bitbucket repos, but only for repos that already have services set up. You will not see this option in newer repos that don't have any services. This option allowed users to e.g. set up email notifications or a POST request to a service when the repo changes.

You can find which of your repos have services by running the following API call:

https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{workspace}/?fields=values.services.*.*.*,values.full_name&role=admin

Replace {workspace} with the workspace-id of the workspace that owns your repos.

After you get the repos from this API call, you can open each repo on Bitbucket website, navigate to its Repository settings and you'll see an option Services for these repos.

Please note that we are not requiring repository admins to disconnect or remove existing Services; we are only suggesting migrating any Service functionality you wish to keep to webhooks:

You can also read more info on the following community article we published:

As I already mentioned, this deprecation is not related to Pipelines services and you will still be able to use those.

Kind regards,
Theodora

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2021

There are three types of Bitbucket service you might be talking about here, and the pipelines question is unclear, so I'd like to ask for some clarification.

Note that bitbucket-pipelines is distinct from other software's pipelines and part of my confusion is likely to be that I'm not sure which pipelines we are discussing.

• Bitbucket Server - You run this on your own server (hardware, VM, docker, etc).  This does not have bitbucket-pipelines, and will be end-of-life on 2nd Feb 2024.   It will continue to work, but will not be supported or updated (you already can't buy new licences for it)
  • Bitbucket Data Center - You run this on your own server (hardware, VM, docker, etc).  This does not have bitbucket-pipelines.  It will be supported for the foreseeable future.
  • Bitbucket Cloud - Atlassian run this for you as a service.  This does have bitbucket-pipelines.  It will be available and supported for the foreseeable future.

So, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking - you seem to be asking about a Bitbucket server going away, but then talk about Bitbucket-pipelines, which do not have anything to do with server.

Juan Carlos Utrilla November 3, 2021

Yes, I did not explain myself clearly. We are using Bitbucket Cloud with Bitbucket Pipelines.

In one of our projects we have Bitbucket Pipelines on the implemented and last week we received an email with the following message:

"We noticed you are an admin for a Bitbucket Cloud repository that is still utilizing our original Services feature. We had previously announced that we will end support for this feature and recommended migrating repositories to Bitbucket webhooks.

Bitbucket is officially ending support of the Services feature on 31 December 2021."

Our bitbucket-pipelines.yml has the following code to build the Docker images:

pipelines:
     branches:
          develop:
               - parallel:
                    - step:
                         name:  Compiling image
                         script:
                              - docker build ...
                         services:
                              - docker
                    - step

My question was if what is marked in bold will stop being available on December 31, 2021.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2021

Thanks for clarifying my misunderstandings!

Yes, that does mean the services will stop being there, you won't be able to use them from Jan 1st next year.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events