cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel sub-steps

Jake He October 18, 2020

Hi,

This is my pipeline.

In the parallel steps, I want to have two steps run one after another. Its like having sequential two steps within one parallel. Is this possible?

pull-requests:
'**':
- step: *build
- parallel:
- step: *chromeAPI
- step: *chrome69API
# how do I split this step into two steps so test2 is run after test1?
- step:
name: 'tests 1 and 2'
caches:
- node
- npm
services:
- docker
script:
- npm ci
- npm run test1
- npm run test2

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2020

In `parallel` all `step`s run parallel, there is no way inside parallel to have two steps not parallel.

However as long as test 1 and test 2 run with the same image it should be possible to have them in a single step so that test 2 would run after test 1. Just like you outline it already, however I don't know why you now need two steps for it so can't share more ideas or know about your limitations.

Jake He October 18, 2020

I just thought it will be visually nicer to see two steps. Also if one step fails, I can just run the failed step.

It's okay. I just want to know whether it is possible.

ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

I see now, good point about the failed step and re-running.

This would require to have an additional grouping of steps next to parallel to have them sequential explicitly. No such option exists thought unfortunately (yet).

However there exists a Jira ticket for a feature request:

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events