Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cache node_modules and get it rebuit whenever package.json is changed?

artiom.neganov March 1, 2020

Hi!

I'm new to CI/CD and configuring my first pipelines file.

Running something against a JavaScript project (e.g. a React one) requires installing TONS of modules and wastes a lot of resources. Sure I would like to optimize this process from the beginning by caching the node_modules directory somehow.

The first option would be bulding a custom image with `node_modules/` inside and get it rebuit whenever `package.json` is changed.

The second option is to use a volume with `node_modules`.

So how to achieve any of those?

In the former case the Dockerfile is obviously shipped within the repo. That thing which is running the pipelines file should

• build the image or rebuid it if the package.json is changed
  • save the image somewhere at its side
  • run the pipeline

In the latter case the pipeline-running thing should mount/bind the volume which is used for node_modules.

I've already read few introductional articles on atlassian.com but didn't get how to do this.

P.S. Omg, why mere Markdown doesn't work here? I don't need this WYSIWYG bs, I just want to edit normal plain text and have OBVIOUS things working like f.e. back ticks!

1 answer

0 votes
artiom.neganov March 1, 2020

Somehow I have missed this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/caching-dependencies-895552876.html

Which answers to the 2nd question. So basically one should worry about caching which happens automatically after providing caches directive.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events