Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Cloud Storage deploy rsync?

davidstanton April 14, 2020

can anyone tell me how to use   rsync  with the google cloud storage deploy,  i've tried adding it in the EXTRA_ARGS: 'rysnc'   but it doesnt seem to like it.  I just want to upload changed files now the initial upload has been done and save a load of bandwidth charges.

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hi David,

Which pipe are you using? If you've started with the Google App Engine deploy example, I don't see rsync functionality (or flags) in the google cloud package the example relies on.

One option might be to use the rsync deploy pipeline instead, and deploy over SSH. Google provides some documentation here for getting set up with SSH access:

Cheers,
Daniel

davidstanton April 28, 2020

im trying to use the 

Google Cloud Storage deploy pipe

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Thanks for confirming. Looks like the underlying command for that pipeline is cp - on this particular line in the pipe we can see the cp command.

As it's currently written, this pipe can't utilize rsync. There are a couple options:

1. Use the rsync deploy pipeline I linked above
  2. Fork this pipeline and modify it to use the gsutil rsync command instead of the "gsutil cp" command it's currently using
davidstanton April 29, 2020

so basically just swap cp for rsync  on that line?  ( i'm not very good at this stuff)

wouldnt it be good for Atlassian to actually make this a pipe, as surely other must need similar as with the "google cloud storage deploy"  you can send all your stuff to a G bucket, but from then on, you have to send everything again, rather than just the "changed" files,  which cost a lot more each time in G costs

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2020

@davidstanton yes, you are right, if you want to use rsync exactly, right now you need to fork the pipe and replace there by rsync.

As for using this as a pipe, we should investigate this question. Thanks for the question!

davidstanton May 14, 2020

lol, you just have to fork it and change the cp to rsync and you have a "new" pipe, thats useful to others and me hopefully? re-name it google rsync pipe 'syncs only changed files" ?

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2020

@davidstanton we are looking for the possibility to improve the current pipe, not creating the new one. Our own forking could end up in too many similar repos.

But as current solution you can fork it on your own and use it for now.

However, I will notify you once the solution for pipe improvement will be aproved and released

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events