Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does pipe Bitbucket trigger pipeline work with account which have 2 factor authentication?

t1279k May 2, 2021

I am trying to use Bitbucket trigger pipeline . I have setup 2 factor authentication for my Bitbucket account. We need to provide username and password for the pipe to work. Looking at the source of the pipe if is using basic authentication.

Basic HTTP Authentication as per RFC-2617 (Digest not supported). Note that Basic Auth with username and password as credentials is only available on accounts that have 2-factor-auth / 2-step-verification disabled. If you use 2fa, you should authenticate using OAuth2 instead.

Ref: https://developer.atlassian.com/bitbucket/api/2/reference/meta/authentication

Will this pipe work for account which have 2 factor authentication. If not can this pipe be enhanced?

1 answer

0 votes
Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

@t1279k thanks for the question,

Our pipe is based on bitbucket api.

Bitbucket api have several methods to authenticate.

For now, you can setup app password and give it least granular permissions that are needed to execute (running pipeline permission, access to repositories for example etc.).

This is explained in the last section in the doc you mentioned.

The second way is to setup OAuth consumer which is also explained there. But this way is not supported right now in our pipe, BUT supported via Bitbucket Api. We will think about this update and discuss, it seems handy , useful and important change.

If you have setup 2factor for account, app password that we use still should work. E.g., it works for my account.I quote the sentence in doc mentioned:

Some important points about app passwords: 

• You cannot use them to log into your Bitbucket account.

• You can use them for API call authentication, even if you don't have two-step verification enabled.

Please, give us the feedback if it does not.

I guess, that basic auth there is mentioned in the way you cannot use your password to authenticate, but instead you still can create app passwords that are different from your password

However, we will also discuss the change to support Oauth consumers, it is nice suggestion, thanks.

Regards, Galyna

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events