Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Bitbucket Pipelines support self hosted runners?

Wilfred Barreto March 3, 2020

Would like to know if Bitbucket pipelines supports self hosted runners and/or a hybrid hosted and self hosted runner setup. Bonus if integrating with AWS spot is possible.

5 answers

1 vote
ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2020

As far as I know as a non-user of Atlassian Bitbucket Server, it does not have the Pipelines Plugin. So, I might be wrong believing that there is no runner in the scope of the options that Atlassian Bitbucket Server (or Data-Center) gives, as far as I can tell the server documentation does not have it (searched in it for "pipeline/s").

Apart from Atlassian itself, there are a couple of runners independently available, most that I know of are somewhat hack-ish (no bad feelings here), mostly for development (which makes sense) which means not feature complete. And a shameless self-plug here, as I have one such utility on Github as well which I normally extend to the level of features I need my own:

But I guess you've looked already around a bit and might have stumbled over these.

What I've always missed is that Bitbucket never came en-par with Gitlab (gitlab-runner) which offers the command line runner since like always, as well as other more CI/CD specific offerings like Codeship (jet) also like always offering it and always very well integrated or Circle CI (CircleCI CLI) which I never used the command-line utility personally, but I've heard the utility does run the jobs locally.

0 votes
Chad Gilbert March 9, 2021

Bitbucket Cloud announced they are in the process of building out self-hosted runner support. They are currently accepting applications for an early access program looking for feedback from the community.

See the Bitbucket Cloud Self-Hosted Runner Early Access Program Announcement

0 votes
Andy Gikling January 13, 2021

Egor, I'll be buying your product, thank you.

My use case is a custom container that has ~30GB of Xilinx tools in it... Copying the container out out Dockerhub on every build is silly.  A Xilinx tools container is also silly - I know.  

The Github Actions runner works great for this use case - just host your own VM and get to work.  It's so easy I assumed Bitbucket would have feature parity here.  I was wrong.  

This is a major missing piece Atlassian. 

I can't believe there no way to host my own build runner lol...

0 votes
Egor Kovetskiy March 3, 2020

Hi,

as far as I know, Bitbucket Pipelines is available only for Bitbucket Cloud and doesn't support any sort of runners, you can buy only "minutes".

We're working on a self-hosted alternative that provides native integration with Bitbucket interface and allows to run any amount of runners — snake-ci.com 

Also, we're offering private beta builds, drop me a line if you have any questions: we@reconquest.io

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events