Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solve complex plan dependencies

Fabian Wagner July 30, 2014

Hello,

we try to switch with our continous integration to bamboo and got a problem with the plan dependencies.

We use one subversion repository that contains multiple projects. One of those is a project which contains a lot of external components that are shared by all the other projects. I set up a plan that is triggered every night and checks out the components and builds them first. After that it triggers all the plans building the other projects using the child-plan dependencies. That works!

But now we need the possibility to manually start a plan of a certain project and run the build-plan for the components !before! the product-plan itself starts (so only the components and the specific project-plan should start). I can't work with blocking dependencies, because they don't work for manually or scheduled triggers.

Is there an other way to realize this kind of dependencies with bamboo?

Thanks,

SMu

5 answers

0 votes
Benedek Farkas May 15, 2015

Related topic: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/325707

This problem seems still seems to unresolved.

0 votes
Fabian Wagner July 31, 2014

That might work.

I can't see this option for the trigger type. At the moment we use an evaluation license to test Bamboo. Can this be the reason?

Now another problem came up. We try to make the build process very abstract and capsulate it in a common plan. This plan should be triggered by a couple of other plans representing the certain projects. Each of those should set a couple of variables and the common build plan builds the projects referring to those variables. We do this, because our build-process is pretty complex and we try to avoid redundant plans for multiple projects. What is the best way to exchange those variables between the project plans and the common plan?

0 votes
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2014

>I can't work with blocking dependencies, because they don't work for manually or scheduled triggers.

How about setting Polling trigger with cron expression set in the past? It will never actually start the build but, combined with dependency blocking, will make your project build check the library repository for changes and launch it if necessary.

(you need Bamboo version which supports multiple triggers obviously)

0 votes
Fabian Wagner July 31, 2014

ok, thank you.

Yes, there is a risk. We've got several commits every day in every project as well as in the components part of the repository. Then there are the Nightly Builds, that are triggered at a certain time. But when we want to release a new version of a specific product manually, the components need to be up to date and also need to be compiled. We plan to add some automation that tests the compiled products (this takes about 7-8 hours) after every nightly build. So more than one (automated) build per day is not possible.

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2014

ATM you can't trigger another plan as a part of your build.

My question is: why do you need to trigger the components-plan before your project-plan? Is there a risk that artifacts in latest build are outdated? Is it possible to run components-plan more frequently (after each commit?)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events