cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

log4j 1.2.17 question

KSD
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 15, 2021

We are using the Bamboo server on a closed network.

Recently, I received a call saying that a vulnerability was also found in the 1.2.xx version of log4j.

As a result of checking the Atlassian homepage, it was confirmed that the 1.2.17 version of log4j exists on both the Bamboo server and the Bamboo target server.

I want to know if that jar file is used and if it is vulnerable to security.

Additionally, it would be appreciated if you could tell us the exact config name of log4j used in Bamboo.

I don't see the log4j config file on the target server side.[bamboo-agent]

If there is no config file for log4j , I wonder if it doesn't matter.

thank you.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2021

Welcome to the community!

Please see https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trust-Security-articles/Atlassian-s-Response-to-Log4j-CVE-2021-44228/ba-p/1886598 for the main discussion and pointers to what to do.

0 votes
Anik Sengupta
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2022

As explained in the security advisory, Atlassian on-premises products (including Bamboo) use an Atlassian-maintained fork of Log4j 1.2.17, which is not vulnerable to CVE-2021-44228.

We have done additional analysis on this fork and confirmed a new but similar vulnerability that can only be exploited by a trusted party. Please check the security advisory page for details on how you can ensure that you are not vulnerable to this.

For Bamboo Server & Data Center, you will also need to check for remote agents with a custom logging configuration as follows:

If you have a properties file specified for the variable wrapper.java.additional.X=-Dlog4j.configuration (in <bamboo-agent-home>/conf/wrapper.conf), check if the org.apache.log4j.net.JMSAppender is present in the properties file. If it is, you will need to comment it out or remove it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events