Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deployment project: release versioning "version" attribute - how to pass value from build?

Dariusz Dzingielewski April 22, 2021

Hi,

I have a build plan (in bamboo yaml) with script task. Script calculates (besides many other things) my custom new version number. Build plan is linked to deployment project (which is automatically triggered after successful build). The question is how can I configure bamboo deployment project to use that "custom new version number" (known inside build plan execution) in release versioning "version" attribute?

In other words: I would like to create every new release in bamboo with the name based on "custom new version number" which is calculated one step earlier (inside build execution).

Plan variables are scoped to broad (every build inside plan). I would like to have something like custom "bamboo build variables" bus it seems that this is generated only by bamboo.

I use bamboo 6.10.3

Thanks a lot for any suggestion how to achieve that.

Darek

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

Inject Variable Task allows creation of 'result' variables. Those can be used in deployment version naming.

Basically, you need your script to create a .properties file with the variables you want to create and then use Inject task to read it. The variables will then be available as 'bamboo.<namespace>.<name_of_the_var>', where 'namespace' is defined in the task config and name of the var comes from the properties file.

This is how it might look in YAML Specs:

- inject-variables:
file: props
scope: RESULT
namespace: inject

With this config, properties file like

variable=value

is going to give you a variable accessible as 'bamboo.inject.variable'

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021
Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Dariusz Dzingielewski April 29, 2021

Thanks a lot, It seems that this will resolve my issue ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events