Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When pull request is created (for-pull-request?)

Dion Campbell March 23, 2021

Hello,

Currently, we have our system setup for Bamboo branch creation (for-new-branch) when a branch is created in Bitbucket.  We would prefer to have Bamboo plan branch creation when the Pull Request is created but I want to be sure of the impact of changing it.  

A) Is the "for-pull-request" setting correct in the YAML for "When pull request is created"?
B) Will the mainline branch (i.e. master) still auto-build when the PR is merged? 

Any input would be appreciated...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2021

a) yes, https://docs.atlassian.com/bamboo-specs-docs/7.2.3/specs.html?yaml#handling-new-branches

b) yes, if you have trigger to build master branch on repository change

Dion Campbell March 25, 2021

Thank you for the reply Alexey. Our Bitbucket is setup essentially as a mono-repo.  The "master" branch is one version, then we have branches that represent other versions and releases off those versions. What we wish to have happen are the following steps. 

1) A developer creates a branch in Bitbucket off a mainline branch.
2) No builds automatically start in Bamboo (i.e. for-pull-request).
3) The developer can make multiple pushes to the remote branch without it triggering a build.
4) Merge is not allowed until at least one clean build is finished (currently configured this way)
5) The developer creates a PR and a build is triggered on the remote branch.
6) When the build finishes clean, the Developer merges into the mainline branch (may or may not be 'master', it could be any of our mainline branches.
7) When the merge occurs to the mainline branch, a build is triggered.

Currently, we are set up with linked repositories and the Bamboo trigger is a default "Bitbucket Server repository triggered"

Dion Campbell March 25, 2021

Hey Alexey, I have it figured out and configured how I need it.  Thank you again for your assistance. 

Like Alexey Chystoprudov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events