Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When and how does Bamboo grab build artifacts ?

Robert Ryals December 13, 2011

In order to minimize spaced used on my build agents I'd like to clean up artifacts produced during the build but preserve my working copy as checked out from Subversion. I would like for Bamboo to grab the artifacts I have configured, then run an additional clean task in the same working directory on the same agent. Any way to achieve this ?

2 answers

1 vote
ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2011

If you look at the output of your build, you should see some of the order in which things are done. To wit:

simple	13-Dec-2011 10:12:47	Finished task 'Integration Tests'
simple	13-Dec-2011 10:12:47	Finished task 'Parse test results'
simple	13-Dec-2011 10:12:47	Running post build plugin 'Artifact Copier' <-- This grabs any shared artifacts

So based on this it would seem that indeed Artifact collection is done a bit too late in the build for you to be able to do anything to it in the Build Plan. As Przemek suggested, there is a Plugin out there that implements Post-build activities:
I believe this will fire after the Artifact Copier processor.
The rest of the solution will require a bit of work on your part. Just about every build tool I've used has the concept of build 'targets' and a target of 'clean' to reset the working directory back to a before-the-build state: make, ant, maven, rake, etc...

So :

Step 1 - Code up a 'clean' target into your build script. Test that it removes everything you want it to remove

Step 2 - Configure the artifacts you want as shared artifacts in one of your Jobs. Bamboo should grab them after the build runs via the 'Artifact Copier' processor.

Step 3 - Setup the Pre/Post Build Plugin and configure a Post-build action to run your build tools 'clean' target

As a Step1a, you could just code up your own 'clean' function using a batch script or something simple like that.

Hopefully, that gets the behaviour that you want.

Robert Ryals December 14, 2011

Thanks for ths tips. My build has 5 jobs run on multiple agents, does the Post build script run on each agent ?

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2011

It's tied to a Job, so yes.

Got the plugin installed, but unfortunately it runs *before* the Artifact Copier

15-Dec-2011 12:39:09command is: ant clean

15-Dec-2011 12:39:09 build was successful, running success command

15-Dec-2011 12:39:09[BuildCommandRunner] running command: ant clean

15-Dec-2011 12:39:10Running post build plugin 'Artifact Copier'

15-Dec-2011 12:39:10Publishing an artifact: Db.zip

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2011

You can't achieve that with stock Bamboo. You can either use a plugin like Pre/Post Build Plugin or code your own simple plugin by implementing CustomBuildProcessor interface.

I have that plugin installed but the UI in the documentation does not look like mine (I'm running Bamboo 3.2 build 2600), I do not see a 'Post Action' tab anywhere, all I see is the 'Post Build Command' on the Miscellaneous tab of the Job configuration, and that runs before the Artifact Copier.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events