What happens when bamboo stops a build?

On linux one step of my build runs a bash script which in turn spawns a number of other processes. When the build is stopped in bamboo, I see that some of the processes continue to run on the build agent.

I assume that I need to clean up my processes when the build is being stopped, but I don't know exactly what happens when the stop occurs. How does bamboo implement the task stopping? Does it send the child process a signal? If so, which signal is it?

3 answers

1 accepted

I don't know the exact mechanisms Bamboo uses when you stop a build, but we had to workaround the orphan process problem by creating an "orphan killer" daemon on the machine that periodically looked for Bamboo-owned processes with a parent PID of 1.

There is a "Hung Build Killer" plugin for Bamboo. I've never used it, but you may be able to peak at the source to get an idea of how it handles the orphaned processes.

Thanks, Brent. This isn't quite what I'm looking for - I'd like to be able to handle the stopping case in my scripts, but this is the most helpful information I've found.

After writing a script to trap the signal the following takes place when you stop the build in the middle of it running a script

"Broke n Pipe" 
$SIG{PIPE} 

Bamboo sends SIGTERM to the script.

Tested with Bamboo 6.4.1 on Linux, by creating the following script, running a build, then stopping it:

#!/bin/sh
trap 'echo sigterm handler > /tmp/bamboo.log' TERM
sleep 100 &
wait

Note that your SIGTERM handler will actually have to kill your own child processes, which isn't always trivial on Linux.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,581 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you