Versioning of stages

Sebastian_R March 19, 2019

Hi,

is it possible to version stages in Bamboo? We adjust our stages and jobs contionously and if I would like to build a project from a year ago I would like to use the stage that was active at that point in time and not the current active one.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

You might want to have a look at Bamboo Specs, which provide configuration as code for your build and deployment projects, thereby enabling you to commit your stages and jobs to version control alongside your source code. There are two approaches conceptually:

1. Store your Specs in a separate repository and execute them on demand - this is usually used for managing administrative cross-project concerns etc.
  2. Store your Specs together with you code, aka repository-stored specs (RSS) - this allows you to keep your project configuration together with the code and automatically publish any code changes [...] and makes it easy to revert to a particular moment in time

Your use case seems to primarily suggest the latter approach, though as usual, how you implement your particular requirements depends on the specifics of your scenario.

Please note that there are two variations, and at this point Bamboo Specs (Java) is considerably more feature complete than Bamboo Specs (YAML) (this conceptual gap seems to be about to be narrowed in a near future release though).

Sebastian_R March 20, 2019

Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for. At the same time, our source control system is Perforce. Does that mean I can't use this feature or does it just mean I have to use one of the supported systems along with my actual repository?

Starting from version 6.5, you will be able to use Bamboo Specs Java and YAML with the following repositories: 

• Bitbucket Cloud
  • Git
  • GitHub
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

You can always use Bamboo Specs standalone with one of the supported systems as per option 1, but this indeed sounds like you may be unable to use option 2 at this point (repository-stored specs), because it requires a supported repository type for the fluent integration.

That being said, Perforce seems to have a Git facade, so you may be able to use that if your Perforce configuration provides this feature. I'm neither familiar with Perforce nor the inner workings of the Bamboo Specs integration though, thus cannot properly judge this in any way.

Like Sebastian_R likes this
Sebastian_R March 21, 2019

That helped me a lot. Thanks for your insights!

1 vote
Gabriel Ribeiro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi Sebastian,

I opened a suggestion ticket based on this request, please find it below:

Thank you.

best,
Gabriel Ribeiro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events