Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Bamboo variables on Windows,

Peter Hitchmough March 10, 2014

I am trying to run the PHPUnit command in the code my Bamboo job has checked out.

Using advice in another post I set a custom capability: build_dir=D:\bamboo\xml-data\build-dir.

Then in my task I set an environment variable:
BUILDROOT="${bamboo.capability.build-dir}/${bamboo.buildKey}"

I get the error on running the task:
Unable to find executable at ${BUILDROOT}/vendor/bin/phpunit.bat

Any help would be appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Monsorno
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

You can't use the bamboo variable in the executable path but there are work arounds.

1. Use a script task

• Long way to illustrate a point other might need. Inline script: ${bamboo.build.working.directory}\vendor\bin\phpunit.bat
  • Short way and more proper, script file vendor\bin\phpunit.bat

2. Make a custom executable for your purpose at an absolute location ex. C:\RunPhpUnit.bat

• Allows control and audit of server capabilities
  • Add ${bamboo.build.working.directory} to the arguments each time it is used and use it inside your script to execute what you really what.
Peter Hitchmough March 11, 2014

Agreed - for all the reasons you state.

Jeff Chen November 18, 2014

I just come cross this issue as well. I think it should be very handy to allow using bamboo variable in executable path.

1 vote
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

Peter,

Are you trying to define the PHPUnit executable path for the task as ${bamboo.build.working.directory}\vendor\bin\phpunit.bat ?

If that's the case then that's probably not going to work. The executable path needs to be an absolute path. So in our case, we define MSBuild task path to be "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe".

Peter Hitchmough March 11, 2014

Thanks. That clarifies things. It's a learning curve.

I want to use the PHPUnit installation that is kept alongside the project, managed by composer. I will probably have similar requirements. I will make a small collection of build command scripts at a fixed path which my projects can use.

Also, I will install some more standard build tools e.g. a default PHPUnit and Composer.

I'll try to summarise things in an answer later, but for now things look good.

0 votes

When I substitute ${bamboo.build.working.directory} in my executable, I see the following in the build log -

Unable to find executable at ${bamboo.build.working.directory}\vendor\bin\phpunit.bat.

0 votes
Jason Monsorno
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Can you just use ${bamboo.build.working.directory}?

0 votes

I defined the executable as

${BUILDROOT}/vendor/bin/phpunit.bat

I also tried

%BUILDROOT%/vendor/bin/phpunit.bat

to no avail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events