Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Bamboo from 5.12 on Postgres 8.4 to current Bamboo/Postgres

Jerry Moseley May 14, 2018

I am trying to migrate and upgrade an older Bamboo 15.12 installation from an old Postgres 8.4 database, but I am having issues.

I am using Postgres pg_dump and pg_restore to move the database as a first step, because upgrading Bamboo requires a newer version of Postgres.  But I cannot get the Bamboo code to work with the restored database on the newer version of Postgres.  With Bamboo pointed at the old db it starts fine, when I point Bamboo at the new db, I get a bootstrap error - "Bamboo bootstrap failed: Failed to run pre-bootstrap upgrade tasks. Please contact Atlassian".

I've tried a bunch of different pg_dump and pg_restore options, but it seems like I am missing something.

Are there any written docs for Postgres specifically to make this happen?  I have looked some on the site, but the only think I can find are general steps.

1 answer

0 votes
Robert W
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2018

Jerry,

Is your new instance Bamboo 5.12 or is it a newer version?

If you're using {{pg_restore}} onto a more recent version of Bamboo, it will be missing key information for the upgrade.

Please try the following:

1. Install/configure Bamboo 5.12 in new environment pointing at the new Postgres instance
  2. Stop new Bamboo instance
  3. pg_restore onto the new Bamboo database on new Postgres instance
  4. Install Bamboo 6.5 in a new <bamboo-install> directory
  5. configure this instance to point at the same <bamboo-home> directory from step 1.
  6. Start Bamboo 6.5

Bamboo will then begin upgrading the data in the database to the latest version of Bamboo.

If this fails, please let me know and we'll open a support case so we can go over the logs of your install to see why the upgrade is failing.

Cheers, Robert
Dev Tools Support | Atlassian

Jerry Moseley May 15, 2018

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply, but I am not sure I can do much with it.  I probably need to describe my setup a little more.

The old/current system is running on boxes that are being replaced.  The old systems contain version 5.12 of Bamboo, using Postgres 8.4.

I am trying to start with just moving/transplanting Bamboo onto the new box, pointing at what I thought was a pg_dump/pg_restore of the Postgres data into version 10.

I am trying to get the data onto the current Postgres, and then get Bamboo up to the current version.  It is my understanding that the old version of Postgres (8.4) cannot be used when upgrading Bamboo - something to do with case insensitivity that the old version does not support.

So - new Bamboo pointing at the old Postgres, looks fine.  When I point it at the new Postgres, then I get the bootstrap failure error.

I used pg_dump -Fc to export from the old system, and pg_restore to import the data on the new system.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for your time and effort!

-Jerry

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events