Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Bamboo 5.10.2 from Windows OS to Linux

Nirro Olat April 5, 2018

Hi all,

My org is in the process of upgrading from Bamboo 5.10.2 to the latest version. Our current Bamboo server is running on Windows Server 2012 and the plan is to migrate it to a Centos 7 box with the latest version. 

The DB backend will be MSSQL for both the current and new instance. Has anyone done this before or anything similar? Any feed back would be appreciated. 

2 answers

1 vote
Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2018

The solution suggested by my colleague might just work fine. Just in case, if you happen to have issues on line endings or something due the operating system shift, you must consider using the export feature and do an import onto a newly installed latest Bamboo 6.x in your Linux operating system.

If you happen to get an error when you hit 'import', it could be that the import file from 5.10 is not compatible. You might want to install Bamboo 5.14 from download archives and generate a fresh export from 5.14 and then import into the latest version.

Hope that helps.

Nirro Olat April 10, 2018

Hi Jeyanthan, 

So from what I understand, if my export from 5.10.2 doesn't work in the version 6+ on the Linux side, are you suggesting that I perform an upgrade of 5.10 to 5.14, then perform the import on the Linux Bamboo server?

1 vote
robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi Nirro,

Thanks for your question!

I have not done it personally but I have seen a lot of customers doing it and I can guide you through the steps:

Before you begin:

Performing the Migration+Upgrade:

• Take a backup of your current Bamboo state.
  • Archive your <Bamboo Home> Directory available in the Windows and move it to the Linux directory where you want to set your Bamboo Home. Extract the file then.
  • Use the native DB tools to take a dump from the old machine to import in the new machine.
  • Once the Bamboo Home and the DB is restored to the new machine, Download the Bamboo Installation file(this could be new Bamboo installation file or the same version. When using a new Bamboo file Bamboo will automatically perform the upgrade.)on the Linus machine and extract it.
  • Edit the file - "<Bamboo-Installation>/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/classes/bamboo-init.properties" and update the "bamboo.home" directory variable with the path where you have extracted the Bamboo Home.
  • Following files can also be considered for the modifications:

** <Bamboo Install Directory>/conf/server.xml -- Needs to be changed if you want to make any changes to the Tomcat Connectors as per your old setup.

** "<Bamboo Install Directory>/bin/setenv.sh" -- Needs to be changed if you want to make any changes to the Java Parameters as per your old setup. See this for more info- --https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/configuring-your-system-properties-289277345.html

** "<Bamboo Home Directory>/bamboo.cfg.xml" file for the below changes:

property name="bamboo.jms.broker.client.uri" ===> For the I.P changes(if any).
property name="bamboo.jms.broker.uri" ===> For the I.P changes(if any).

property name="hibernate.*****" ==> Hibernate related changes for DB specific.

• After making these changes, start the Bamboo and you will have the upgraded Bamboo on your new Centos box

Hope this will help.

I would recommend performing a test upgrade first.

Thanks,
Robhit

Nirro Olat April 6, 2018

Hi Robhit, 

I'll definitely refer to your recommendations during the upgrade/migration process. Thanks again for the detailed response!

I'll make sure to update this thread to detail my steps and hopefully it could help someone else out who is in the same upgrade path as I am.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events