Trying to migrate to new machine: Import failed. Error while updating baseUrl: Premature end of file

Doug McCluer June 3, 2014

I'm trying to migrate a bamboo instance to a new machine.

I exported the old instance to a zip file, and then set up bamboo on the new machine, choosing to import existing data, and pointed it to the zip file I exported from the other machine.

I then found myself at a screen with the following message:

You cannot access Bamboo at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons:
Time    Level    Type    Description    Exception
2014-06-03 13:57:10    fatal    import     Import failed. Please contact Atlassian at https://support.atlassian.com/ and attach your export file. <br /> java.lang.Exception: Error while updating baseUrl: Premature end of file.
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.migration.XmlMigrator.setBaseUrl(XmlMigrator.java:255)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.migration.XmlMigrator.importXml(XmlMigrator.java:185)
        at ...

I've tried both the export and the import steps multiple times. How can I move my bamboo instance onto a new machine?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2014

What does the log say when you export?

nothing.
The onscreen message says, "Bamboo has successfully exported to D:\bamboo\exports\export_dedobuildserver_3103_20140603_2.zip. Time taken: 21 seconds"
The log file is empty though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2014

I'm assuming you are transferring the export from the source machine to the target. Are you sure the files are identical on both machines? Could you try not using zip as well (some windows compression programs have "issues", shall we say)

Yes, I am transferring the export on to the new machine.
The zip is generated by bamboo, so I'm assuming compression is not the issue.
I just ran an MD5 hash on both machines and verified the file was not altered in transit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2014

Right, I think you've hit a bug there. I think it might be best to go to Atlassian with this one

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events