Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treat a Task failure as a warning

Michael March 15, 2012

I have a series of Tasks associated with a Job. And I have a series of Jobs associated with a Plan.

When a build kicks off for the Plan should one of the Tasks in a Job fail I would like to have the option to treat the failure as a warning, display the Build as yellow on the dashboard, and have Bamboo continue on to the next Job.

Possible?

Real world example -

1. Job to build .NET solution.
  2. Job to run unit tests.
  3. Job to deploy to development server.

If #2 fails, I want to know by looking at the Dashboard but I also want Bamboo to continue on to #3.

2 answers

0 votes
Rick Herrick April 10, 2013

We have a situation with a similar requirement albeit a different context. As part of the deployment process for our app, we want to undeploy the app from a remote Tomcat. This frees up database connections so we can drop and re-create the app database.

I have two alternatives here:

• Stop Tomcat itself
  • Stop and undeploy the app via the Tomcat manager app

I've been unable to stop and start Tomcat via ssh because I can't get sudo access that way. I can undeploy the app via the manager app assuming that the app is installed. But if it's not installed (which can happen when there's a problem with the code or app configuration) that whole task fails and the build fails with it.

But frankly I don't CARE! If it fails to undeploy, that means that the app's not even there and therefore not locking database sessions and I can proceed. But to Bamboo it seems all failures are created equally and require the entire build process to abort. That seems very inflexible and frankly useless to me.

I see it's been a year since the original inquiry with no Atlassian response. So does that mean I'm hosed?

0 votes
PinoS December 2, 2012

Why can't we make a task no fail the build but maybe add a badge or something...

Also, if a project has no tests why does it fail? For example, when a project starts or at some point they are disabled... doesn't make sense to fail build or to change the plan.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events