Task grunt not found. Edited

I've been trying to get a bamboo project started that utilizes grunt, but have been unable to get a successful run. I've tried to strip it down to just the basics after failing with the full build and same results. 

If there's a 'hello world' example I can start over with I can try that to see if it's our server configuration or something different that I need to investigate. 

Bamboo Stage Steps

1. Source Code Checkout from Bitbucket... which contains package.json in it's root
  2. NPM Task (node v7.7.4): install
    Log Result: npm WARN grunt-git@1.0.3 requires a peer of grunt@~1.0.1 but none was installed.
    Finished task 'NPM Install Package.json' with result: Success
  3. Grunt Task: grunt js
    Warning: Task "grunt" not found. Use --force to continue.

I've tried a few different approaches... adding specific npm steps to install grunt-cli and grunt specifically before doing npm install. I've also reduced my package.json to only include the dependencies for grunt/cli and removed everything else... just to see if I can get it to install correctly. 

Package JSON file (relevant portions)

"engines": {
        "node": ">= 0.10.13"
    },
    "dependencies" : {
        "grunt": "~0.4",
        "grunt-cli": "~0.1"
    }

As far as I can tell I'm following everything outlined on https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/getting-started-with-node-js-and-bamboo-687213472.html but continue to fail basic build. If there's anything else I can provide to help guide me, let me know. 

1 answer

1 accepted

I was able to work around this with a bunch of trial and error, but wound up with the following package.json and steps. 

Build Steps

1. Source Code Checkout from Bitbucket... which contains package.json in it's root
  2. NPM: install -g npm
  3. NPM: install
  4. grunt (0.4.x): js (js is the task name in gruntfile.js)

package.json

I wound up removing the engines section and added grunt-contrib-requirejs which seemed to clear up the error. On my local machine I had run 'npm install grunt --save-dev', 'npm install grunt-cli --save-dev' and 'npm install grunt-contrib-requirejs --save-dev' to get the versions. At one point I also added those same commands in the bamboo config, so overall I'm not sure what exactly did the trick - but was able to clone the build and it worked from the start with this latest setup. 

},
  "devDependencies": {
    "grunt": "~1.0.1",
    "grunt-cli": "~1.2.0",
    "grunt-contrib-requirejs": "~1.0.0"
  }

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,061 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot