Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip Bamboo builds using commit message?

Eric Pederson August 14, 2018

We regularly have a need to skip running build(s) on certain commits.  All of the major public cloud CI vendors support this by adding [skip ci] in the commit message (Travis, Appveyor, CircleCI, BuildKite, etc).  Bitbucket Pipelines supports it.  Jenkins supports it with a plugin.

How can we do this with Bamboo?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2018

Hi @Eric Pederson,

You can achieve this in Bamboo as well through the Plan/linked repository settings at: 

Linked_repositories_-_Atlassian_Bamboo.png

If the regular expression in the Exclude changesets field matches the commit message, that commit will not trigger a build nor be tracked in Bamboo build results.

Eric Pederson August 15, 2018

That looks almost ideal, but..

I put "skip ci" (without the quotes) into Exclude changesets and added that to my commit comment (for example: "Re-apply 66714a9 (config syntax error message) skip ci" but it still ran the plans that had this as a linked repository.

I am using Bamboo 6.1.0.

Screenshots:

2018-08-15 20_33_19-Linked repositories - IDB Bamboo.png

2018-08-15 20_35_15-ZZ Build System - build.sh price 160_ Build result summary - IDB Bamboo.png

Scratch that.  This regex works:

.*skip ci.* 

Thanks!

Of course it would be nice to have something global so I didn't have to add this to my 50 or  so repositories but I'm happy to have it.

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2018

Hi @Eric Pederson,

I'm glad you found the correct regex pattern to filter the commits =]
If you don't mind on accepting my answer above, that will help other community users to see that this question is solved.

Thank you for sharing your configuration an tests! That helps a lot the community.

Eric Pederson August 16, 2018

Done - thanks again!

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2019

Than you! =]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events