Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a fresh install of Bamboo, JDBC to SQL Server doesn't work, no error

gbdavid2 April 5, 2019

I'm trying to set up a new installation of Bamboo in a computer that didn't have Bamboo before. I have followed the guidelines to create my SQL server database as seen here: Microsoft SQL Server

I tried using these URLS:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;port=1433;instanceName=sqlexpress;databaseName=Bamboo

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;instanceName=sqlexpress;databaseName=Bamboo

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress:1433;databaseName=Bamboo

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress:1433;databaseName=Bamboo

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;instanceName=sqlexpress;database=Bamboo

But every single time I try, the set up just says: "Please wait while Bamboo sets up your database" and then returns back to the previous page.

How am I suppose to know what's wrong, if Bamboo can't show any error? What should I do to see the error? or what should I change in the URL to make it work?

Update 1:

I finally found out what the problem is. First of all, it would be appreciated if Atlassian instructed us of any error, by either telling us what the problem is, or where to find further information. I found that there is a log at C:\Program Files\Bamboo\logs...

Now, the log has the following error:

... Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host localhost, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Connection refused: connect. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.". ...

I have disabled the firewall, also named pipes and tcp/ip are enabled, and I even connected to the database fine from a remote computer, but it still breaks in Bamboo!

Update 2:

I finally made it work by using the following URL:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress;databaseName=Bamboo

Atlassian should really update their documentation to help users identify bugs like this, and also expand on jdbc connections...

Now that I finally connected to the database, it gets stuck trying to build it. 

... org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [default] in context with path [] threw exception java.lang.IllegalStateException: No WebApplicationContext found: no ContextLoaderListener registered? ...

... [SharedFileLocker] Database C:\Users\dgarces\bamboo-home\jms-store\bamboo\KahaDB\lock is locked by another server. This broker is now in slave mode waiting a lock to be acquired 2019-04-06 14:02:23,509 ERROR [http-nio-8085-exec-8] [FiveOhOh] 500 Exception was thrown. java.lang.IllegalStateException: No WebApplicationContext found: no ContextLoaderListener registered? ... 

1 answer

0 votes
gbdavid2 April 8, 2019

I've finally fixed the issue, but would be useful if Atlassian includes these tips / fixes in general documentation for future reference:

• SQL Express URL: jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress;databaseName=Bamboo
  • Bamboo lock errors on initial setup (Window 10): delete bamboo-home folder all together and start setup process again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events