Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Instances

Charles Ciaffone February 11, 2016

We are looking at a set of Atlassian products for our company: Bitbucket Server, Bamboo, Jira, and Confluence.  We have some installation / server configuration questions. I read originally that JIRA and Bamboo each required a dedicated instance of SQL server, bu when I went back to look with our DBA I did not find that documentation.

Does each product (Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, and JIRA) require it’s own SQL Server instance or it’s own Windows Server?

If possible, for proof of concept (and even possibly going forward), we would like to minimize the number of Windows Servers and SQL Server instances.

An optimal configuration (best case scenario) would be one Windows 2012 r2 Server with one SQL Server 2012 (standard edition) default instance

And all the required databases for the four products would be attached to the single instance.

The 2nd best case scenario would be one Windows Server and multiple SQL instances. (two to four)

Can any of the four products share an instance? The less instances , the better.   

Can any of the four products use the default instance?

Do any of the four products require a named instance?

Is there a preferred installation sequence?

Should all necessary instances exist prior to installing the products?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Regards,

Charles

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2016

You can run the whole lot with a single instance of the database server.

The data areas must be completely separate, so create a totally separate database for each, but it's fine to run all four databases in the same instance (I usually keep it simple - a user called jira accessing a database called jira, conf accessing conf, etc).  You do need each database to have been created before installation, but you don't need to do anything other than make the empty database usable.  Order of installation doesn't matter either.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events