Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Linux scripts from Bamboo that require sudo

Brian M. Howard December 15, 2017

I need to remove the /opt/poky folder on my build agent machine, but cannot find a way to do it from Bamboo.  It requires root permissions (sudo) however I cannot use sudoers for this to bypass password entry for sudo, and all my efforts fail.  Is there a secure way to do this from a Bamboo inline script, or running a local build agent script, in Ubuntu 14.04?   

2 answers

0 votes

sudoers does not work, Bamboo throws an error ... whereas the same script run under that user  on the agent machine does not require a sudo password to run. 

There is no alternative to deleting that /opt/poky folder, there are libraries being changed to new version in that folder, the old libraries need to be deleted. This is to pass security scanning. 

But surely there are times when something must be installed as root from a build script ... such as when adding security to a bitbake image.  There is no way around the security portion, the script for it must be run as root.  I am hoping this can be automated in Bamboo, but again, Bamboo needs to be able to do things using sudo somehow.  

Thanks much, Boris

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

Whats the error you get when the script tries to sudo? Is it a tty error? 

Yes, specifically:   "sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified."

While that same script run locally does not require a sudo password.  

The sudoers file did not have a tty requirement, but after failing for some time, I added:  Defaults   !requiretty

However, this addition also does not work.   

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017
0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

Not sure I understand, is sudoers not an option because of some policy? or you just haven't been able to make it work?

Also can you explain why you need to remove /opt/poky? Maybe we can offer an alternative solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events