Running Bamboo behind an IIS proxy

Jeff Gardner October 1, 2012

I want to run Bamboo behind an IIS proxy on Windows Server 2008. I have Jira and Stash both running behind this instance of IIS, but Bamboo's structure seems to be completely different so I am struggling to get it set up. I found something online that said to add these entries to the wrapper.conf file:

• wrapper.java.additional.5=-Dhttp.proxySet=true
  • wrapper.java.additional.6=-Dhttp.proxyHost=<the proxy host>
  • wrapper.java.additional.7=-Dhttp.proxyPort=<the proxy port>

I set the proxyHost entry to the URL that IIS is forwarding from, and the proxyPort to 80. When I access the URL that I set up, I get a 403 Forbidden error. Some examples have additional entries for proxyUser and proxyPassword, but I don't know what user/password this is referring to or how to set them up. Am I on the right track? How do I get this to work?

2 answers

0 votes
danielwester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

In Bamboo the port is at: webapp/WEB-INF/classes/jetty.xml. Default is 8085

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

Hi, what settings did you put for JIRA and Stash? It should be exactly the same in Bamboo, except as you have already described, those additional JVM arguments, go 1 on each line in the wrapper.conf file.

Jeff Gardner October 1, 2012

For Jira and Stash, I added "proxyName=<forwarded URL>" and "proxyPort=80" to the Connector element in the server.xml file, similar to what I added here in the wrapper.conf file.

Do you know what would cause a 403 Forbidden error?

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

As in you added this in Tomcat and not as a JVM argument. Bamboo uses Jetty - take a look at Jetty's documentation on how to do this compared to Tomcat.

Jeff Gardner October 2, 2012

I am looking at the Jetty documentation, and I see sections for "Apache mod_proxy (Reverse Proxy)" and "Apache mod_proxy_ajp and mod_jk for AJP". This seems to be the equivalent of what I want to do, but using Apache. I have to use IIS because of our existing architecture. I have IIS set up to forward requests to the Bamboo URL, but I can't figure out what I need to change on the Jetty side to accept requests from the proxy URL without getting a 403 Forbidden error.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2012

I would use the Apache mod_proxy section. Give that a try but put in the IIS information.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events