Run a build via the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10

I'm trying to test running jobs in bamboo which invoke a script using the bash.exe from the WSL on Windows 10 (without much luck). In my test bamboo is running on a local account as a service which also happens to be my account (for testing). I have ubuntu bash shells open so-as to keep the WSL alive. I created a simple .sh script which does :

```
#!/bin/bash
echo "hello world"
```

Then in my task I setup the WSL bash as an executable ("c:\Windows\System32\bash.exe") and create a command task using that executable with arguments:

`-c "/mnt/c/path/to/my/script.sh"`

When I run it.. it just hangs. Does anyone have experience getting this to work? Thoughts?

1 answer

0 votes

Hi,

Did you get any clue from the Build logs? Maybe it gives you a clue on why it hangs.

I suggest you to use script task in your plan and invoke your script like below by choosing powershell as the interpreter.

bash ./script.sh

I actually didn't find anything helpful in the build logs. I also tried using a script task. In each case it hangs as soon as wsl bash.exe is called. It actually hung all night when I left it to run.

At this point I would like to recreate the mechanism for how the call to bash or the script is made in a small test which mimics the way bamboo does it. My guess is that there is something about the calling context/environment which doesn't work with WSL.

I guess it is because powershell doesn't close it's output stream properly and thus Bamboo wouldn't get exit 0 or 1 to decide if the task is a pass or fail. Check if this KB helps -  Powershell script hangs.

You should basically add a '-inputformat none' to the command argument.

-inputformat none -command

Filed a feature request to track this (although this is not officially supported) - BAM-18870

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

1,559 views 8 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you