Run Jira Server from bamboo. copy test database and install plugin

Former user April 13, 2018

Hi community!

We are trying to automate testing of a Jira add-on and I wonder if anyone has experience and is ready to share it.

At this stage we need to do following from bamboo:

1) Run specific version of Jira;

2) Push h2db test database to it;

3) Push the add-on;

4) Wait till Jira starts and launch tests only after it has started;

I have some clue how to accomplish 1, 2 and 3 and I guess should manage it in few hours. What worries me most is "how to wait till Jira is started".

Would be very grateful for any hints.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2018

Regarding question 4, you might want to look into the following:

• Official Jira status URL, see Document the /status URL for JIRA (JRASERVER-63928)
    • available as of 7.1.0 only, which is enough if you just need to cover versions not EOL yet
    • lacks documentation other than this issue
    • not 100% positive 'RUNNING' implies the desired stable state for app testing, but given its used for the load balancing health checks, it better be
      • please note that you seemingly need to explicitly check for RUNNING rather than just HTTP 200 as one would expect, because MAINTENANCE counter intuitively returns 200 too (see Tom Jackson's resp. comment)
  • Application Links /rest/applinks/latest/manifest URL, see Status URL for monitoring?
    • works across all products, and for older versions too
    • no explicit notion of or relation to 'RUNNING' regarding the host product
    • not entirely positive its availability implies the desired stable state for app testing, but given app links are a dependency for several other plugins, I'd hope/assume they are instantiated early on purpose (seems to be the case at least)
Former user April 16, 2018

Thank you Steffen!

Looks like what I need. Moreover your answer made me think that I can try to rely on some Jira REST API method checking till it returns the expected response.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018
Former user April 13, 2018

Hi Mirek,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I do no have much hands-on experience with docker so this will bring additional complexity. Moreover seems I am able to cover 1, 2  and 3 (at lease did it in the console) so the only open question is "how to wait till Jira is started".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events