Repository layout for branch detection

Scott Bai October 6, 2012

We have a Subversion repository with dozens of related projects, each with its own Maven pom.xml file. Currently the layout is:

/project-a/trunk

/project-a/branches

/project-a/tags

/project-b/trunk

/project-b/branches

/project-b/tags

etc. This is pretty standard and works fine with automatic branch detection in Bamboo 4.2. I can set the repository location to /project-a/trunk and it will look for branches in /project-a/branches. However, I've been considering an alternate repository layout that looks like this:

/trunk/project-a

/trunk/project-b

/branches/<branch-name>/project-a

/branches/<branch-name>/project-b

etc. This would allow us to create a branch that encompasses multiple related projects, all of which will be modified together in that branch, instead of creating separate but inter-dependent branches under each project's own trunk/branches/tags structure.

However, this structure doesn't work well with Bamboo. I can configure it to look for branches of project-a under /branches, but then it thinks /branches/<branch-name> is a branch of project-a. In reality, the branched version of project-a is one level deeper at /branches/<branch-name>/project-a.

Is there anything I can do to make automatic branch detection work on this repository setup?

(Of course, I can still add each plan branch manually.)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012

I see what you mean. Your description is a feature request for a flexible SVN directory organization. I have raised a new feature request that will be implemented as per Atlassian policy. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Armen

0 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

Hi there,

Old Bamboo versions assume that you have the structure that you described initially. As you see in the attachment, Bamboo version 4.2.1 allows to specify the directory where the branches will be looked for. Please let me know if that answers your question or if you have any further concerns.

Cheers,
Armen

Scott Bai October 7, 2012

Yes, I know it lets me specify the location, but as I said, I have an extra directory level between "branches" and the individual projects that Bamboo is looking for. This is because there are multiple projects within each branch. So if I tell Bamboo to manage branches for "project-a" by looking under "branches", it looks for any folder named

/branches/*

but it needs to be looking for folders named

/branches/*/project-a

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events