Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended software upgrade path from bamboo 6.9.1 to 8/8.1/8.2

Patric Duffy May 13, 2022

what is the cleanest upgrade path from bamboo 6.9.10 to 8.X.X ?

we currently have a 7.2.2 staging instance - I would like to upgrade it first, and then migrate our production data from 6.9.1 to 8.x.x

thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Patric Duffy May 25, 2022

Are these answers useful?

Help other community members by marking useful answers as accepted.

*I* would say this community is NOT very helpful - if a user asks for help, and another user has the same request - and nobody from the atlassian community has chimed in, in about 2 weeks.

Trung Tran May 25, 2022

Here you go.  Hope these instructions help someone.

Upgrade steps from

Ubuntu16 + Bamboo-7.1.1 + Java-8-jdk ===> Ubuntu20.04 + Bamboo-8.2.3 + Java-11-jdk:

• To migrate the previous Bamboo and postgres, the initial steps must be done on the original Bamboo server (Ubuntu16 + Bamboo-7.1.1 + Java-8-jdk).
    • Perform an export from the Dashboard browser:  Bamboo admin/ Export.
  • Buildup a new Ubuntu 20.04 server
    • Install same Bamboo version as the original, Bamboo 7.1.1
    • Install JAVA package as original, Java-8-jdk
      • apt install openjdk-8-jdk
      • sudo update-alternatives --config java  ---  Select ‘java-8-openjdk’
    • Verify Postgres is latest, postgeSQL 12.10:  psql –version
    • Create an empty ‘bamboo’ database and username ‘bamboo’
      • sudo -u postgres createdb bamboo
      • sudo -u postgres createuser bamboo
    • Startup the old Bamboo 7.1.1 with an empty database.
      • Enter Bamboo license.
      • When import windows appear, you can import database dump from the original host.
    • When completed log in with the original local admin privileged account.  NOTE: If your Bamboo users are authenticated via JIRA Crowd active directory, they may not be available at this time since its hasn’t establlished connection with your JIRA server.  You must your the local user account to log in.
    • Perform full reindex of Bamboo immediately:  Bamboo admin/Indexing.
      • Watch log for completed full reindex:  ‘tail –f  ~devadmin/bamboo-home/logs/atlassian-bamboo.log
    • Download newer Bamboo and install in a new installed directory:  /opt/bamboo-8.2.3-install.
    •  Updated file ../bamboo-8.2.3/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/classes/bamboo-init.properties
      • Set ‘bamboo.home=/home/<USER./bamboo-home’ pointing to original home
    • May need to update file: ../bamboo-8.2.3/atlassian-bamboo/conf/server.xml.
    • Backup of the original bamboo-home in case need to go back.
    • Start the new bamboo session:  ‘/opt/bamboo-8.2.3-install/bin/start-bamboo.sh’
    • Monitor the bamboo-logs for bamboo migration now:
      • tail –f  ~devadmin/bamboo-home/logs/atlassian-bamboo.log
    • Login in with the local admin privilege account,and perform Full reindex one more time.  Completed.
  • NOTE:  As far as upgrading from Bamboo-7.1.1 to 8.2.3 was pretty straight forward for me.  However, I’m still trying to work out issues on running Bamboo-8.2.3 as a docker container.  I can run Bamboo container on regular standard port http://localhost:8085.  However, I couldn’t get it to work on HTTPS and reverse-proxy binding my custom file:  ../bamboo-8.2.3-install/conf/server.xml, with custom ports and such.  The container just wipe it out with default config and exposed only port 8085.
Patric Duffy May 25, 2022

Thanks Trung!  I thought this forum MIGHT get an answer from an atlassian person.

I guess that's only if you're a female and ask questions about jira. 

;o)

Like Trung Tran likes this
0 votes
Trung Tran May 20, 2022

I'm interested in this topic too.  

I'm currently hosting bamboo-7.1.1 with PostgreSQL on Ubuntu 16.04 and attempting to migrate to Bamboo Container 8.x on Ubuntu 20.04 (PostgreSQL 12.10) .  I'm stuck with database compatibility with the new Bamboo 8.x.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events