Problem after installing Bamboo

Thiago Escobar December 26, 2016

I installed bamboo as a service on my centos 6 server, but when i start it and try to access the url (localhost:8085) there is nothing running. i accessed the logs and found this error message. 

SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error configuring application listener of class com.atlassian.bamboo.session.SeraphHttpSessionDestroyedListener
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/atlassian/bamboo/session/SeraphHttpSessionDestroyedListener : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 (unable to load class com.atlassian.bamboo.session.SeraphHttpSessionDestroyedListener)

can anyone please help me get this running? 

1 answer

2 votes
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2016

Hi Thiago, the Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 error happens when we try to run a class that was compiled using the Java 8 compiler into a lower Java version e.g. Java 7 or Java 6. This is the case with the Bamboo Server (and remote agents) after Bamboo 5.10.x. Java is backward compatible, meaning we can run a Java class file (or JAR file) compiled in a lower version (Java 6) into a higher version e.g. Java 8, but it doesn't mean we can run a class compiled using Java 7 into Java 5. Why? because higher versions usually have features that are not supported by lower versions.

If you have multiple Java versions installed, please make sure that the latest one comes first in the PATH environment variable. This is to say, you need to ensure Bamboo is starting up using Java 8, otherwise it won't work.

Thiago Escobar December 26, 2016

i do have more than one java version installed. how do i set the PATH so the latest comes first? I thought that only setting the JAVA_HOME variable to the correct path would do the trick, but i am probably mistaken sad

Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2016

Thiago, if you're running Bamboo on a Linux box, this is what I mean: http://superuser.com/questions/135580/multiple-java-environment-on-the-same-linux-machine. On the other hand, if you want, you can also force Bamboo to start using a specific Java version. In this case you can edit the <BAMBOO_INSTALL>/bin/start-bamboo.sh file and add the following to the first line of the file:

JAVA_HOME="path/to/java"

Please replace the path with the actual path to Java 8.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events