Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Powershell Script from Bamboo output

Hi,

I am running a PowerShell script from Bamboo using the Script task. The script file is in the repo, so I'm running it using the "File" Script location:

* Interpreter: Windows PowerShell

* Script location: File

* Script file: .\build.ps1

I'm confident the file exists and is running. However, I don't get any of the output from the script. That is, when I run it locally on my machine, I gets detailed output in the terminal. But when I run on Bamboo, I get no output.

How can I get output when running on Bamboo?

In case, it helps, the commands in the PowerShell script are primarily calling other applications using "&"

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi,

I was able to reproduce this issue using Powershell 4, so please try to upgrade Powershell to version 5.

I tested using Powershell 5.1.14409.1005 and it works :D

Hope this helps. 

0 votes
edwin Community Leader Aug 18, 2019

Hi @garretfick ,

Please try adding debugging at the top of script.

Set-PSDebug -Trace 2

Also what is writing output messages?

For example:

Write-Host "message"

I have added `Set-PSDebug -Trace 2`. When I run locally, I get output from each line, but when run via Bamboo, I see no output.

I have also added `Write-Host`, and it similarly gives no output.

In case it helps, the only message I do see is

Failing task since return code of [powershell -NonInteractive -ExecutionPolicy bypass -Command .\build.ps1] was -1 while expected 0 

I can also add that if I change the name from `build.ps1` to `build1.ps1` (so the script doesn'tt exist), I instead get the message 

File [XXXXXXX\build1.ps1] doesn't exist, trying to run [.\build1.ps1] anyway.
Unable to find executable at .\build1.ps1. Will try to run it anyway.

@garretfick Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing right now as well. `Set-PSDebug -Trace 2` didn't output anything to the Bamboo log files. I've tried messing around with powershell preferences but none of them seemed to help.

I can't remember if I ever got logging working (and don't have access to the system anymore to check), but I do remember why things were failing.

The bamboo user account PATH environment variable had been modified, and so Powershell wasn't on the path.

I suspect this isn't related, but might be worth looking at.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bamboo

Bamboo 101 Video

G’day Community! As we gear up to introduce Bamboo Data Center to the world, we wanted to make sure that we shared a bit more about Bamboo, the product. Our team has put together an overview video ...

190 views 4 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you