Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershell Script from Bamboo output

garretfick August 16, 2019

Hi,

I am running a PowerShell script from Bamboo using the Script task. The script file is in the repo, so I'm running it using the "File" Script location:

* Interpreter: Windows PowerShell

* Script location: File

* Script file: .\build.ps1

I'm confident the file exists and is running. However, I don't get any of the output from the script. That is, when I run it locally on my machine, I gets detailed output in the terminal. But when I run on Bamboo, I get no output.

How can I get output when running on Bamboo?

In case, it helps, the commands in the PowerShell script are primarily calling other applications using "&"

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karel Miranda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hi,

I was able to reproduce this issue using Powershell 4, so please try to upgrade Powershell to version 5.

I tested using Powershell 5.1.14409.1005 and it works :D

Hope this helps. 

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2019

Hi @garretfick ,

Please try adding debugging at the top of script.

Set-PSDebug -Trace 2

Also what is writing output messages?

For example:

Write-Host "message"
garretfick August 19, 2019

I have added `Set-PSDebug -Trace 2`. When I run locally, I get output from each line, but when run via Bamboo, I see no output.

I have also added `Write-Host`, and it similarly gives no output.

In case it helps, the only message I do see is

Failing task since return code of [powershell -NonInteractive -ExecutionPolicy bypass -Command .\build.ps1] was -1 while expected 0 
garretfick August 19, 2019

I can also add that if I change the name from `build.ps1` to `build1.ps1` (so the script doesn'tt exist), I instead get the message 

File [XXXXXXX\build1.ps1] doesn't exist, trying to run [.\build1.ps1] anyway.
Unable to find executable at .\build1.ps1. Will try to run it anyway.
andrew_lund January 17, 2020

@garretfick Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing right now as well. `Set-PSDebug -Trace 2` didn't output anything to the Bamboo log files. I've tried messing around with powershell preferences but none of them seemed to help.

garretfick January 17, 2020

I can't remember if I ever got logging working (and don't have access to the system anymore to check), but I do remember why things were failing.

The bamboo user account PATH environment variable had been modified, and so Powershell wasn't on the path.

I suspect this isn't related, but might be worth looking at.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events