Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to trigger dependencies one by one?

Deleted user March 14, 2022

Hi,

I have a set of build jobs that I want to trigger from one parent build job. However, I only want them to run one by one, since they are technically deploy jobs (but defined as build jobs in Bamboo) and deploying more than one module at a time creates race conditions and breaks things. So I want to have the following:

Parent plan, having dependencies:
-> plan A
-> plan B
-> plan C

Where if I run "Parent plan", then plan A, B and C are all triggered - but only run one at a time (ordering does not matter). I have multiple agents that can run each plan, and would prefer to not limit it, since running steps (within stages) in the plans in parallel shortens down build times.

I could daisy-chain them together (Parent triggers A, A triggers B, etc), but this has the issue that running plan A separately starts the chain of running B, then C, etc. - which I don't want.

Is there some way of specifying "run these dependencies, but not in parallel"?

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user March 15, 2022

Hi,

Thanks, I'll have to look into this solution. From what I gather then, something like this is not available directly from the Bamboo web UI?

If not, I think it would be a handy addition to just have a checkbox option under "Dependencies" for "Run in sequence" and "Wait for each child plan to complete before running next". I would guess I'm not the only person to have this use case.

0 votes
Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2022

Hello @[deleted], Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You can have a "master" Plan that would trigger Plan A, B and C via Bamboo REST API from a Script task.

Each build would be independent, so it would be important to have a second Task that would be used to validate the results of every build.

Queue a build:

Query build results:

An interesting blog article describes this strategy:

Regards,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

Deleted user March 15, 2022

Hi,

Thanks, I'll have to look into this solution. From what I gather then, something like this is not available directly from the Bamboo web UI?

If not, I think it would be a handy addition to just have a checkbox option under "Dependencies" for "Run in sequence" and "Wait for each child plan to complete before running next". I would guess I'm not the only person to have this use case.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events