Plugin functionality differs on remote agents

Topher Cullen May 26, 2017

I recently upgraded from bamboo 5.9 to 6.0 and ran into a strange problem with one of the (outdated) plugins.

Here is the plugin in question: https://bitbucket.org/dehringer/bamboo-newrelic-plugin/overview

Here is the stack trace: https://pastebin.com/hxBJt3NH

After much tinkering this is what I found:

- This only fails on remote agents (windows and linux). Local agents, the plugin works fine.

- Prior to the upgrade, the plugin had a similar, but funcational result. getNameForSentence() function on a TriggerReason object would return 'null' as a string, but not a null pointer. 

- getNameForSentence() function on a TriggerReason object returns a null pointer (obvious from the stack strace). However, getName() and getKey() work just fine

- getNameForSentence() returns a string along the lines of "was <trigger type or reason> by <user name>".  

Given I can't see the source (that I know of), I don't know what other information/attributes/methods getNameForSentence() is trying to use, and failing just on the remote agents. If I had to guess, based on the result string, the user that triggered the event is unavailable to the remote agent.

1 answer

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

I recommend to report this issue in the add-on's public issue tracker at Bamboo New Relic Plugin - the add-on's author David Ehringer used to be fairly diligent in keeping his high quality add-ons up to date, but for a new release with breaking changes it can take a couple of weeks of course.

As for looking at the source, you already linked bitbucket.org/dehringer/bamboo-newrelic-plugin yourself, and the Bamboo source code is available for customers with an active maintenance status, see Do I get access to the source code? - you can download the source from the Licenses section on the my.atlassian.com page.

Steffen, there hasn't been a relase of this plugin in over a year. The issues tracker hasn't had any thing for several years. I've requested several times to have an update to this plugin over the last year. 

My issue, however, is not with the plugin maintainer, but with remote plugin's functionality being different. The information I provided is because I *already* have the plugin source. What I don't have is bamboo's source, which is where the problem lies.

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

I see, sorry to hear, and I've indeed misread the source code issue - I've updated my answer regarding access to the Bamboo source code.

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events