Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance when running executable shell scripts

Kyle Brandstetter June 28, 2018

I've been using bamboo to automate tests and builds for awhile, but I recently added a performance test for some heavy c++ code to perform a variety of math based operations.  I'm just executing this from a shell script and I've noticed that when I run the shell script by hand on the same host and file system I consistently get about 10% shorter run times than from bamboo.  I was thinking this might be due to the capturing of the console output so I piped everything into the log in a background task and just had the bamboo job waiting on the task to finish but that didn't seem to have any effect.

I made sure my agent is spawning the script at the same nice level as a user would, but I'm out of other things to check.

Is there anything I can do to get similar performance as running the script standalone?

1 answer

0 votes
Foong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2019

Is the agent running on Windows or Linux?

Is it elastic or remote agent?

Kyle Brandstetter February 12, 2019

Linux, I see similiar behavior on remote agents or the host itself even when other jobs are not running.

Foong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2019

Since it is a heavy task, try increasing the heap memory in the remote agent <bamboo-agent-home>/conf/wrapper.conf:

wrapper.java.maxmemory=1024

The remote agent have to be restarted after the modification.

To make sure that the shell script is executed by the same interpreter, add the following line at the top of the script:

#!/bin/sh

After adding the shebang, test the running time between console and Bamboo remote agent again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events