Notification is not sent when dependent plan fails.

I am using dependency to trigger build plans.

e.g. Plan A, if successful will trigger plan B which if successful will trigger plan C.

Consider following situation.

Developer X, commits and that triggers Plan A to build successfully.
Plan A then tiggers to build Plan B which also builds successfully.
Plan B then triggers Plan C which fails.

In this case I would expect Bamboo to send "Build failed" email to Developer X. This does not happen.

Notification is set to "Send email to Responsible User" if build fails.

It seems Bamboo can't figure out who the responsible developer was if a dependent plan fails.

Please help me fix this issue.

4 answers

1 accepted

Hi Nimitt,

Thanks for your question. I was able to reproduce the behavior that you described, and I raised a new feature request based on this case. It will be implemented as per our policy. Feel free to add yourself as a watcher, vote or comment to that new feature request. As a workaround you can configure the same notifications for all your dependent plans.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Armen

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this.

I don't quite understand the workaround. All of my plans have notifications set to be sent to "Responsible Users". Even with that there is no notification sent.

In addition to my previous comment, you might want to consider sending notifications to Committers instead of Responsible users.

Cheers,
Armen

Hi Armen,

Thank you so much for your response.

This does not work either. Bamboo can't figure out who the committer was that triggered parent plan build unless committer also happened to commit to child plan.

When it comes to dependent plan build, Bamboo sems to have no idea about things like who triggered the build, how long did parent plan take. It would alos make sense to be able to send just one notification when entire stack has been built successfully and how long it took instead of sending notifications on every step in the chain.

Hey Nimitt,

I verified that the way that the plan dependency is implemented in Bamboo is that the parent plan triggers the child plan and there is no information being passed from one to the other. This means that the child plan has no information about the parent plan performance: "like who triggered the build, how long did parent plan take".

Currently there is no way to configure Bamboo to send notifications form a child plan to the parent plan's responsible user account. If you need to add more information to the feature request that I have raised, please feel free to leave more comments with your suggestions.

Cheers,
Armen

With the above scenario - If plan c fails - how can I show or change the parent build plan A and plan b status as failed?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,569 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you