Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification is not sent when dependent plan fails.

Nimitt Desai October 18, 2012

I am using dependency to trigger build plans.

e.g. Plan A, if successful will trigger plan B which if successful will trigger plan C.

Consider following situation.

Developer X, commits and that triggers Plan A to build successfully.
Plan A then tiggers to build Plan B which also builds successfully.
Plan B then triggers Plan C which fails.

In this case I would expect Bamboo to send "Build failed" email to Developer X. This does not happen.

Notification is set to "Send email to Responsible User" if build fails.

It seems Bamboo can't figure out who the responsible developer was if a dependent plan fails.

Please help me fix this issue.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

Hi Nimitt,

Thanks for your question. I was able to reproduce the behavior that you described, and I raised a new feature request based on this case. It will be implemented as per our policy. Feel free to add yourself as a watcher, vote or comment to that new feature request. As a workaround you can configure the same notifications for all your dependent plans.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Armen

Nimitt Desai October 22, 2012

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this.

I don't quite understand the workaround. All of my plans have notifications set to be sent to "Responsible Users". Even with that there is no notification sent.

0 votes
Sathish Selvaraj August 10, 2016

With the above scenario - If plan c fails - how can I show or change the parent build plan A and plan b status as failed?

0 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

Hey Nimitt,

I verified that the way that the plan dependency is implemented in Bamboo is that the parent plan triggers the child plan and there is no information being passed from one to the other. This means that the child plan has no information about the parent plan performance: "like who triggered the build, how long did parent plan take".

Currently there is no way to configure Bamboo to send notifications form a child plan to the parent plan's responsible user account. If you need to add more information to the feature request that I have raised, please feel free to leave more comments with your suggestions.

Cheers,
Armen

0 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2012

In addition to my previous comment, you might want to consider sending notifications to Committers instead of Responsible users.

Cheers,
Armen

Nimitt Desai October 22, 2012

Hi Armen,

Thank you so much for your response.

This does not work either. Bamboo can't figure out who the committer was that triggered parent plan build unless committer also happened to commit to child plan.

When it comes to dependent plan build, Bamboo sems to have no idea about things like who triggered the build, how long did parent plan take. It would alos make sense to be able to send just one notification when entire stack has been built successfully and how long it took instead of sending notifications on every step in the chain.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events