Managing multiple node versions

I'm trying to figure out how to manage multiple node versions for a variety of different projects for our Bamboo server.

I can't seem to figure out how to include multiple versions of node from 0.10 to 5.0.0 in bamboo and have projects build from differing versions of node while managing the node_modules folder.

What is the best way to handle installing/handling multiple node versions and builds?

Thank you

1 answer

NVM is a useful tool, depending on the complexity of the environment you are trying to test with:

https://github.com/creationix/nvm

This would allow you to declare a specific version of node via the command-line, and subsequently execute the corresponding code with whatever node_modules folder you needed.

I would suggest caching the request to the NVM script (from the link above) so you could control how this was being executed in your own environment (rather than relying on a 3rd party source).

To further develop this answer: If you were looking to do something which ran multiple versions of node on the same agent, you could bypass the node path and directly access the place that nvm stores the node binary and global node_modules. For each version of node, the path is switched accordingly. A question: Are you trying to run multiple versions of node in tandem with each other on the same agent? If so...why? Would a docker-ized solution work better for this kind of situation?

We'll try out the NVM solution just to try it out. We're trying to stay away from having to set up dockers. We have use cases across multiple versions of node and RHELS

how do you switch the node versions using the Bamboo Node.js Plugin?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,093 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot