JDK 1.8.0 Compatilbility with Atlassian OnDemand Elastic Agent

Lee Myring March 10, 2014

I have created an agent in my VPC with an attached EBS snapshot.

In the /mnt/bamboo-ebs directory I have extraced the gzip file from the Oracle JDK page (https://jdk8.java.net/download.html) to /mnt/bamboo-ebs/jdk1.8.0

I then customised the /mnt/bamboo-ebs/bin/customise-extras.sh as attached

I then customised the /mnt/bamboo-ebs/profile-extras.sh as attached

I then created a snapshot, updated my elastic instance configuration and launched a new instance which hangs and there are many Java errors in the bamboo-elastic-agent.out file as shown in attachment.

Is this library supported? Can anyone shed any light on what causes these errors please? (p.s. I'm a newbie to Atlassian Bamboo and Java)

Many thanks (bamboo-elastic-agent.log) (customise-extras.txt) (profile-extras.txt)

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2014

You can't start Bamboo (this applies both to the server and the agent) on JDK8 at the moment. There are some 3rd party dependencies that are incompatible with JDK8.

Note that the tThe JDK used to launch the agent is independent from the JDK used to run the builds - just create a JDK capability for your custom JDK.

1 vote
Keith Holloway October 9, 2014

Thanks for the answer @Przemyslaw Bruski.  Uninstalling JDK8 and then installing JDK7 did the trick.  I had to uninstall/reinstall and then reset my JAVA_HOME environment variable, but then restarting the service made things work. 

0 votes
Kent Moore January 8, 2015

We just had the same issue with a couple agents (of many) and the common thread was a 1.8 JDK had just been installed on both.  As part of the install process it appears the global PATH variable was modified, and the new JDK was put first in line.

At one point our Bamboo agent's conf/bamboo.conf was pointed to a specific JDK rather than having "wrapper.java.command=java" where it depends on Windows values.  Don't know when that changed, but I just changed it back!

0 votes
Lee Myring March 10, 2014

The first warning message is

2014-03-11 12:05:37,055 WARN [Thread-2] [PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer] Could not load properties from class path resource [bamboo-init.properties]: class path resource [bamboo-init.properties] cannot be opened because it does not exist

and the first error message is

2014-03-11 12:05:44,671 ERROR [Thread-2] [EventPublisherImpl] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event 'com.atlassian.plugin.event.events.PluginFrameworkStartingEvent@5d906340' from the invoker 'com.atlassian.plugin.event.impl.MethodSelectorListenerHandler$1$1@49bd724c'.

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to [Ljava.lang.Class;

at com.atlassian.plugin.event.impl.MethodSelectorListenerHandler$1$1.invoke(MethodSelectorListenerHandler.java:67)

at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$2$1.run(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:44)

at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$1.execute(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:29)

at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.dispatch(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:90)

at com.atlassian.event.internal.EventPublisherImpl.invokeListeners(EventPublisherImpl.java:151)

at com.atlassian.event.internal.EventPublisherImpl.publish(EventPublisherImpl.java:70)

at com.atlassian.plugin.event.impl.DefaultPluginEventManager.broadcast(DefaultPluginEventManager.java:84)

at com.atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager.init(DefaultPluginManager.java:149)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events