Is there some way to "lock" a Bamboo configuration?

Stephen Rosenthal March 29, 2019

My team is growing larger and regularly accidentally misconfigures our plans. Specifically, the main build stage gets "Disabled" -- I'm not sure how, but I don't think anyone is doing it on purpose.

Is there some way to "lock" a Bamboo configuration, so we stop messing it up accidentally?

1 answer

1 vote
Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2019

Hello @Stephen Rosenthal welcome to Atlassian Community :)

Is your team using Bamboo Specs? This looks like the scenario when a configuration fail to be applied. In such cases, Bamboo disables the plan.

Also, we are considering some improvements for YAML and we are looking to hear some feedback from customers, if you could reach me at vdebone@atlassian.com you could make part of this conversation

Victor

Stephen Rosenthal April 2, 2019

Hi Victor,

Thanks, but we're not using Bamboo Specs. I haven't had a chance to read much on how they work. Would they help our problem?

-Stephen

Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2019

It could definitely help @Stephen Rosenthal! Starting using Bamboo Specs is a natural step on your growth of Bamboo usage.

The bottom line of Bamboo Specs is that you will be configuring your Bamboo instance, its plans, deployments and projects, from code. You will benefit from tools, the predictability, code versioning and reusability. We have two flavours of Bamboo Specs, YAML and Java, which would be up to you and your team requirements to choose. 

Specifically for you and your team, it may mean that your Bamboo configuration will be the source of truth, not the interface, which will turn into read-only mode. There will be an initial work for migrating your plans, but you don't need to have full opt-in. Also, Bamboo can already provide you with the Java flavour of your configuration with the "View your plan as Specs".

Start slowly with one plan to experiment! You can find more information on the documentation and on the reference. 

Later on I would enjoy to know how was your experience with it :)

Victor

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2019

Hello @Stephen Rosenthal, did you have success on using Bamboo Specs? 

Also, we recently released a huge update on Bamboo Specs YAML on Bamboo 6.9, if you hadn't had a chance to feel how Bamboo Specs is, I'm sure you could start moving some plans to Bamboo Specs with YAML. Check it out :)

Stephen Rosenthal June 12, 2019

Hi Victor,

No, I haven't dug into Bamboo Specs. I may, but I'm not sure I want to invest too much in Bamboo proprietary configuration, in case we someday choose to move to a competitor.

Stephen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events