Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to supply values for variables when selecting the release to deploy?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2019

Hello Everyone,

Currently, we have a Bamboo Deployment project with a few environments that run powershell based deployment scripts.  This started as something that was run manually that we are trying to move into Bamboo.

When we runs these scripts manually there have been times where a couple of the servers in the powershell list fail to deploy for whatever reason, instead of running a full deployment again they added an override flag to be able to define a subset of the servers to re-deploy to.  Instead of editing the environment taks and adding this into the script task, then running the deployment, and finally removing it from the task again, our deployment team was wondering if there is a setting our add-on that would allow them to provide that value on the fly when they are selecting what release to deploy.

Does anyone know if this is something that is possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2019

Hi @Jimmy Seddon

Thank you for explaining in details what is your scenario there. I totally get why you need custom run for deployments allowing you to set the variables previously, even though this feature is not available.

We do have an old feature request for this at [BAM-13707] Parameterised variables for Deployment environments which was not prioritized among other more important features along the time.
(i) Please check our Implementation of New Features Policy for more details on how we prioritize the implementation of new suggestions.

Possible workaround

If you know the remote agent used for your deployment (which can be dedicated), you could get the flag from a file in that server and inject it into the deployment using the Inject variables task.

Add-ons from third-party vendors

I was searching for possible add-ons for this and found this one that could potentially help you: Custom Deployments for Bamboo.

I hope I could help.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response.  Bare minimum I'll go and vote for that feature request, and I'll take a look at your suggested work around.

Thanks for your help!

-James

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2019

If you think this answer can help other users, please click the button "this helped me". 
See you in the next thread!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events