Is there a difference between agents with JDK capability and agents with builder capability in bamboo ?

I am trying to run selenium tests as part of a bamboo build configured in a windows machine. It throws 'Unable to launch browser ' exception when it is run using an agent with both JDK and builder capabilities. When I tried running it using an agent only with JDK capability, it runs fine. Is there a difference between agents with JDK and builder capability in bamboo ?

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Clark Atlassian Team Nov 10, 2011

This is not directly related to your questions, but I've found a common cause of being unable to launch Selenium from a Windows bamboo agent is because the agent is configured to run as a Windows service. In modern versions of Windows (ie. anything newer than Windows 2000) any process that runs as a service is prohibited from interacting with the desktop by default.

Windows services are unable to launch a browser window (as required by Selenium) because it cannot communicate with the Windowing API.

To get around this, you either need to run Bamboo from a logged-on user session, or configure the service to allow interaction with the desktop.

If you've already ensured this is correct, or you're not running your agent as a service, I apologise for the old info. :-)

Thanks for your response. The bamboo build (Versions 3.0.1) is just configured with local agents having shared builder and jdk capabilities. Will they run as service by default ? If so how do we configure them in bamboo to run interact with desktop ? Sorry, I am new to Bamboo and I couldnt get much info from the Bamboo docs on this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,076 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot