Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a difference between agents with JDK capability and agents with builder capability in bamboo ?

Annie James November 9, 2011

I am trying to run selenium tests as part of a bamboo build configured in a windows machine. It throws 'Unable to launch browser ' exception when it is run using an agent with both JDK and builder capabilities. When I tried running it using an agent only with JDK capability, it runs fine. Is there a difference between agents with JDK and builder capability in bamboo ?

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2011

This is not directly related to your questions, but I've found a common cause of being unable to launch Selenium from a Windows bamboo agent is because the agent is configured to run as a Windows service. In modern versions of Windows (ie. anything newer than Windows 2000) any process that runs as a service is prohibited from interacting with the desktop by default.

Windows services are unable to launch a browser window (as required by Selenium) because it cannot communicate with the Windowing API.

To get around this, you either need to run Bamboo from a logged-on user session, or configure the service to allow interaction with the desktop.

If you've already ensured this is correct, or you're not running your agent as a service, I apologise for the old info. :-)

Annie James November 10, 2011

Thanks for your response. The bamboo build (Versions 3.0.1) is just configured with local agents having shared builder and jdk capabilities. Will they run as service by default ? If so how do we configure them in bamboo to run interact with desktop ? Sorry, I am new to Bamboo and I couldnt get much info from the Bamboo docs on this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events