Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is remote agent a requirement for a deployment to Windows host?

Jhillaker April 21, 2020

First, apologies as this might be a dummmmb question.
I am coming from TFS build/release process and getting my feet wet with Bamboo. 

I am working on testing out Bamboo as a potential replacement to our TFS process.

I'm trying to make my first project as simple as possible, so my first test is to basically do a build/deploy of a web assets from repo to a Windows server.  

My next test will be deploying SharePoint webparts.  But that will come later.

I know in TFS, a build agent is required, but not really any deploy agents are needed to destination deploy hosts.  

All of that for me to ask:
For Bamboo, do all destination deploy servers require a remote agent?  Another way for me to ask-- Is it possible to deploy artifacts to a Windows machine with Bamboo without a remote agent?

Are there any other agents required? 

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Lasse Langhorn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2020

Hi,

You do not need a remote agent in order to deploy to a windows host. Bamboo can deploy to an any environment no matter the OS.

But building artifacts that will run a Windows OS you must have special capabilities for the agent that will build these artifacts.

So if you are to make artifacts for a Windows OS, I would recommend a Bamboo remote agent running on Windows OS that have the capabilities to build these artifacts.

The flexibility of Bamboo is the remote agents that can have different capabilities depending on the artifacts that must be build by each remote agent.

Recommended articles:

1. Bamboo deployment projects
  2. Bamboo - getting started with .Net
  3. Bamboo - Agents and capabilities
  4. Bamboo- configuring remote agent capabilities using Bamboo capabilities properties 

Regards

Lasse Langhorn

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events