Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to Start a Virtual Machine From Bamboo

José Alexandre D'Abruzzo Pereira February 4, 2013

I would like to know if it is possible to start a Virtual Machine from Bamboo.

I was wondering if I could start different virtual machines according to the project in Bamboo. For instance, I have two projects: one that uses .NET and another one that uses Delphi. I would like to have different virtual machines according to the idiosyncrasies of each project.

If it is not possible, is there another license type of Bamboo that would allow me to do that? Or should I have remote agents according to the projects?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

I guess the important question is what type of virtualization technology you are using (i.e. VMWare)? If VMWare there is a commercial plugin that works nicely : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stiltsoft.bamboo.bamboo-vmware-plugin

You can start/stop existing VMs

Also there if you use KVM or Zen there is this plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nu.teg.merseine.civm.civm-bamboo but i have not used it.

2 votes
ssetayeshfar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

You can have different remote agents according to your projects and you need to have a license for remote agents, for this purpose. However, if you have VMs set up that you are using to test your projects, you can run them from Bamboo. Bamboo allows using different virtual machine instances and as long as you can start/run your VMs from command line, you can run them from Bamboo.

- If you start a VM and compile in this VM, it is not considered a remote machine if you are executing it on the same server, but if you are executing it on a different server or if your intention is to put the remote agent JAR inside the VM for execution, then you will need remote agents.

- If you want to run two plans simultaneously, you might need to change your license depending on where you want to run those plans. Your license will allow you to have endless number of local agents (You can go to administrator ->agents page and add as many as you need). But if you want to run your plans on a remote agent (remote server), then you need to get a new license that allows to have the needed number of remote agents.

1 vote
Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

José,

you can try our updated add-on Virtual Agents for Bamboo. It allows you to add tasks to start and stop virtual machines with a capability to set wait time before proceeding to the next task in the queue.

It also allows you to create mappings between virtual machines and your remote agents. The add-on monitors the Bamboo queue with build and deployment tasks and starts automatically the virtual machine with the appropriate agent. So all your tasks are executed automatically. Once the agent is not needed, the add-on stops it. So it lets you maximize efficiency of your license for remote agents.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Vadim Rutkevich

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events