Is automatic shutdown broken?

Bart Smyth October 15, 2013

I've configured automatic shutdown as follows:

Automatic shutdown EC2 instances will be automatically terminated 300 seconds after the agent goes offline

However after a build, the instance remained running for over an hour and I had to manually stop it.

Am I missign anything?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2013

By default, any volumes that were created when an instance launched should be automatically deleted when the instance terminates (in other words, their DeleteOnTermination flags are set to true by default). However, any volumes that are attached after the instance is running are not - this is due to that DeleteOnTermination flag are set to false.

Configure the instance to automatically delete the EBS volumes after instance shutdown by setting the DeleteOnTermination flag to true and this has to be configured on AWS side.

More details available here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ONDEMANDKB/Delete+EBS+Volume+On+Instance+Termination+in+EC2

Bart Smyth October 22, 2013

FYI - that page is not accessible.

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2013

You've configured the shutdown that gets triggered when an agent dies (goes offline), not when it becomes idle. You need to configure "Idle agent shutdown delay" .

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events