Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Atlassian CloudFormation Backup Machine

Zohaib_Ahmad_hassan December 21, 2018

I have Create a Cloud formation template to install bamboo now when it is installed and first time i contact with web interface it asks for license , admin user setup and installation type . I want to automate these options as well. is there any command line utility or any configuration file in bamboo available for doing this ?

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hi @Zohaib_Ahmad_hassan,

Bamboo does not have an unattended installation configuration process/file, but once you understand how the installation/setup process works you should be able to automate part of it or even entirely.

A Bamboo instance is composed basically by 3 parts

• The installation folder
  • The home folder
  • The DB

When you download Bamboo you only have the installer part.

The setup process (wizard where you see the license) will:

1. Save the license details.
  2. Save the DB configuration (I'm assuming you will use an external DB).
  3. Create the DB and populate the tables.
  4. Create the home directory and all related configuration files.
  5. Populate the DB.

If you want to install Bamboo multiple times this is what I would suggest:

Backup process (1 time job)

1. Run a normal installation and go through the whole wizard (adding license, configuring DB, admin user, so on ...)
  2. Stop Bamboo.
  3. Create a copy of the Bamboo home directory.
    The following folders can be ignored: jms-store, temp, index and caches. They are built on startup time.
  4. Create a backup of your external DB

New instance process

1. Create the installation files (either by backup or downloading if from Download Bamboo - Atlassian)
  2. Configure the file <Bamboo_Install>/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/classes/bamboo-init.properties pointing the location where you want the <Bamboo_Home> folder to be set.
  3. Copy the Bamboo home to the location configured in the previous step.
  4. Copy the DB backup to the new DB server using the external DB tools.
  5. Edit the <Bamboo_Home>/bamboo.cfg.xml:
    1. To add the right license details, in case it is a different instance (not the same license used to create the backup).
    2. Adjust the DB URL so it points to the newly copied DB.
  6. Start Bamboo

In case you need special tomcat configuration files, you can add/edit them before starting Bamboo.

I understand this process is not that simple neither complete (not covering all possible configuration details), but it can be adjusted and automated.

I also created this feature request to cover this scenario: Unattended installation for Bamboo. Please add your comments and vote on it if you think this feature should be implemented.

I hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events