cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get a variable I installed to work

Mark McWiggins October 4, 2018

I have a TODAY variable defined in a properties file for my build:

TODAY=10042018

It's injected successfully (as far as I can tell) but I try using it and I just get the literal of what I try, so far

${bamboo.TODAY}

and

${system.TODAY}

What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2018

Hi @Mark McWiggins,

Since you are using Inject Bamboo Variables task, there is a field called Namespace where its default is "inject". At the same time, there is a property called Scope of the variables in which you can select Local or Result.

If you want to make use of the variable in the JOB where Bamboo Variables task is being called, then you should select Local under Scope of the variables, otherwise Result.

On Windows, you should be able to call this variable as:

echo "bamboo.inject.TODAY: " %bamboo.inject.TODAY%
echo "bamboo_inject_TODAY: " %bamboo_inject_TODAY%

Please, notice inject in variable, which is the Namespace provided in Bamboo Variables task

If you are unsure on which variables are available to your JOB, please add Dump variables to log task just after the Bamboo Variables task and you should find the following entry in build log:

simple    05-Oct-2018 10:27:31    Starting task 'Dump variables to log' of type 'com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.bamboo-variable-inject-plugin:dump'
simple    05-Oct-2018 10:27:31    ---- DUMPING VARIABLES TO LOG ---
simple    05-Oct-2018 10:27:31    key: [inject.TODAY] value: [10042018] type: CUSTOM
simple    05-Oct-2018 10:27:31    ---- END DUMPING VARIABLES TO LOG  ---
simple    05-Oct-2018 10:27:31    Finished task 'Dump variables to log' with result: Success

Kind regards,

Rafael

0 votes
Mark McWiggins October 4, 2018

I also tried

%BAMBOO_TODAY%

(this is Windows)

... with similar lack of results.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events