How to trigger a dependent plan in Bamboo when using branches

In Bamboo 5.6.1 is it possible to trigger a dependent plan if the parent plan (the plan that triggers) is using the branches features? As far as I understand, you can only trigger a child plan if that child has a branch of the same name. Is that correct? What we want is to trigger the child plan every time any branch in the parent is build without having to duplicate all the branches.

PARENT (branch FOO, branch BAR) -> CHILD 

3 answers

0 vote

Reik

Bamboo works exactly as you described:

As far as I understand, you can only trigger a child plan if that child has a branch of the same name.

We haven't considered scenario you have described:

we want is to trigger the child plan every time any branch in the parent is build

Can you please describe your usecase more? I mean what are the reasons to build a single branch of CHILD whenever any branch of MASTER will be updated?

In our specific case, the MASTER branches are creating an RPM file that needs to be uploaded to S3 and our YUM repository needs to be refreshed. Previously we were doing this as task of each build but now the YUM repository has gotten too large so that this step takes too long. Instead each MASTER branch will create it's RPM artifact and move it to a shared location. Then the idea is to have a dependent CHILD that handles the S3 upload YUM repository updates. This CHILD doesn't really care about branches since it will work on the RPM files in the shared location.

@Krystian Brazulewicz

Is this scenario still not being considered?

In my scenario, I'll be having lot of plan branches for release (one or two for each sprint) and hotfix and since the plans and deployment projects have one to one relation, it's a manual process and a pain to do deployment process.

For Continuous Deployments from branches, it would be really helpful if we can have automatic trigger update with active branches in deployment or if we can have the described scenario.

Thanks,

Divin

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,094 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot