It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to setup parent plans

Andrew Forrest Oct 25, 2018

I have a C++/Qt project for which a release is a combination of 6 different builds which all run as different plans because they target different platforms (i.e. win32, win64, macx etc etc). I have setup a parent plan which allows me to trigger the corresponding child plans: e.g.

Project Plans:

build-production-win32
build-production-win64
build-production-macx
build-production-linxu64
build-production-ios
build-production-android
build-production-all (does nothing, then invokes the above builds using child plans)

How do I get the parent plan to wait on the completion of the child plans so I can download the artifacts created and make them available for a deployment plan? OR

How do I get a deployment plan with multiple build plans as input to ensure the artifacts from its dependent plans are build from the correct git hash?

In an ideal world, it would be able to trigger a release from JIRA, calling the correct parent build plan (build-[production, beta etc]-all), and then have a single deployment plan which i can hit release on which works if all platform plans build successfully. I cannot see how to make that happen (?)

I then want to replicate this for different branches, some using branch plans, some using explicitly separate plans (differences in scripts which need calling etc), but I think that would be easy if I can work out how to do it for one branch.

Any help would be appreciated, it seems like several points in this workflow are just not supported at all!

1 answer

0 votes
Kah Loun Foong Atlassian Team Nov 06, 2018

Instead of different Plans, how about using different Jobs inside a single Plan for each environment build?

Each Job can be configured to have certain requirement so that different agents from different environments will build it.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Introducing subtasks for breaking down work in next-gen projects

Teams break work down in order to help simplify complex tasks. This is often done iteratively, with tasks being broken down into smaller tasks and so on until the work is accurately captured in well-...

10,236 views 47 48
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you