How to publish ASP.NET MVC 3 app using Bamboo ?

Dikshit Gokhale October 29, 2013

I am using Bamboo to completely automate the process. I checkout the latest code from the SVN repository, build and run unit test cases. Its working fine. But if someone could guide how to publish the app to a specified location. If I add task and select the Task Type as 'Deployment', I don't see any visual studio option to publish.

2 answers

0 votes
Dikshit Gokhale November 5, 2013

Thanks a lot:)

0 votes
Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

There may not be a plugin for that yet. You should be able to script the deployment as you would from the command line using script, or command. You can add dependencies (such as msdeploy which I think is the name of the exe) and then use them in the deployment job. I haven't used msdeploy to deploy via IIS as the .NET project I worked on did not deploy that way, we robocopied everything from the deployment location to the server location.

One thing you might check is using a build task types (or all task types) to find the msbuild command that will deploy. You can use any task type in your deployment project, the "categories" are just there to narrow the list so it's easier to find the task type you're looking for. Just because you're doing a deployment plan doesn't mean you can't use builder tasks.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd569106%28v=ws.10%29.aspx this page should set you up for success. You'll have to figure out exactly how to call it and there may be some other things that will make this complicated. If it was easy we'd all be doing it. :)

It is also possible that you'll have to move the components to deploy onto the destination server and ssh in to execute the msdeploy command on that server. That does seem counter intuitive to me but I've never worked in an environment where intuitiveness drove design.

If you can't get ssh to work there are other ways to script it using cscript or wscript.

I'd be surprised if you didn't have to slay some authentication or trust dragons along the way as well.

Good Luck,

GJ

Dikshit Gokhale November 5, 2013

Thanks a lot:)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events