How to prevent a bamboo build triggering?

Andrew Forkes May 26, 2014

The Challenge: How to ensure build-time changes to source are preserved without trigger another build?

Current Implementation: Part of our build process updates various src documents with elements like the version-number (only available at build time). It pushes these changes back to the central repository branch (to ensure the information is not lost in future builds) ... but this triggers another build.

We're using Git, and Bamboo v5.4.2 build 4208

All ideas, all alternative approaches, to solving the problem welcome.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2014

It is possible to configure build triggering in Bamboo to ignore changes to specific files. If you can isolate the files that are changed by build process from files that are changed as part of development process that could work for you.

The options is under repository configuration, in 'Advanced' section.

Andrew Forkes June 6, 2014

Thank you Marcin, that was just the thing! Added a regular expression to the excluded trigger-files, which fixes the issue perfectly.

0 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2014
Try .*/.txt
Andrew Forkes June 9, 2014

Thank you Ron. It looks like there is something else responsible, as it works (to stop the build) in some Plan Branches, but not others. I will try to establish what other possible triggers are at work.

0 votes
Andrew Forkes June 9, 2014

Following on ... I'm finding that the Java Regex (regular expression) I'm using to exclude files doesn't seem to be effective in Plan Branches. The regex is simply:

.*/*.txt

To match any *.txt file changes.

The Advanced "exclude all changes that match" option is selected, but still it builds on changes to *.txt files.

Any ideas?

Flipskin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2016

Hello @Andrew Forkes, have you found the answer on your last question? I'm trying to overcome the same issue now

Besher_Karkour March 30, 2020

Try   ^.*\.txt$

It's already working for me 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events